Saturday 10 January 2009

Players make the Formation

Lots of people go out of their way on FM to sign players that will fit their killer formation they used in previous games. I think this is silly, your formation should fit the players, even if that means making a formation that is not "the norm". Take my Ruby tactic, when I was developing it, I realised with my current squad at Real Sociedad, I had no recognisable right winger. I had a good left winger, very good AMCs and good strikers. I knew I needed to have a AMC and also have two strikers, but without a right winger I wasnt sure what to do.

It seems I was being too rigid, that infact I should just put players where it made sense. So I ended up playing with a AML, AMC, two strikers, two MCs but not a AMR. Blimey you say! No AMR? Surely that leaves me outnumbered on my right flank?

It does but not as bad as you think, the MCr often comes across of his own accord to protect the flank, and with a good RB this is fine. Originally I made the mistake of making the RB more attacking, but all that happened was that my RB would be stranded up the pitch, so I gave up with that idea. Now my back four are just there to defend, and it works well. It's no killer tactic, but I'm now 16 games unbeaten and it could not be going any better.

If I had decided to play with a AMR it would have meant either:
1) Buying One. I think my team needed strenghtening else where so this was not an option.
2) Sacrificing the AMC for an AMR. Not good, as my AMCs (Mata & Jimenez) have both set up countless goals and scored a few as well.
3) Sacrifice a ST for an AMR. With 5 strikers, there was no way I was playing one up front.

So all I am trying to say, is don't be afraid to break the rules.

No comments:

Post a Comment